Thursday, May 22, 2014

Cosmic Grace by Lucky

I have been slowly and surely trying to integrate what I have been learning, since I started paying attention to this process of aging. It has been enormously gratifying to have discovered, via the literature, and through direct experience with other older people, that there is a lot of benefits that come with aging. It looks like the key words that seem to best describe the pleasures of aging are; integration and actualization.

 Integration refers to the organic process that stimulates recollection, life review and a deepening sense of self. This seems to incorporate a movement toward inner life, and being instead of doing. Actualization has more to do with fulfillment. Elder happiness seems to emanate from fully becoming oneself, feeling connected with the larger movement of the Universe, and basically aligning self, expression, gifts to others, and spiritual pursuits to one’s highest values. All of this, I’ve found, is really good. I think it represents good news, but what I want to write about is the pattern underneath, the greater news of our existence.

I have been harboring these thoughts for some time. Maybe you have been holding your own thoughts just as long. For me, the time is up. What wants to unfold now, has got me in its grips. Aging has brought me here, and now insists that I honor what is unfolding right along with my wrinkling, greying body. I have written, about this era of life, that magnificence creeps in. To my mind, every bit of Life has that attribute, and so does death.

Death is a favor to us. It is fearsome and nerve-wracking, but not because of what we’ve learned from this culture, but because being included in such an all-encompassing liberation is itself awesome. I’ve come to see, through my own life, and through the lives and deaths of others, that death is nothing more than a return to one’s deepest, most divine self. Some may call it a return to the Ground of Being, the Universe, The Great Mystery, Nothingness, or God, but the words don’t really matter, the pattern seems to indicate that one experiences a recall, a transition back/forward into a larger whole.

This is the greater news for which aging is just a prelude. My partner, Alexandra Hart, first started talking to me about something she was feeling rising in her as she got older. She referred to what she called “essentializing.” This, for her, was the process of giving up the superfluous in favor of the more essential. Simplicity was beginning to replace no longer necessary complexity. Her life was becoming more focused. In my sense, she was participating consciously in her own death; in other words, she was ripening, becoming her juicier self.

As time went on, and as we observed and talked about it more, it became apparent to us that some kind of paradox was unfolding within us, and within others we were seeing. We were declining, like many old folks, and we were becoming more. We soon came to refer to this paradoxical movement as “reduction.’’ Xan likes to cook, so we took a metaphor from cooking that captured the complicated advance that occurred, as people, as we, became less. We were being reduced like the ingredients of a good sauce and in the process our essential nature was being drawn out of us, and we were becoming richer, more complex, and flavorful.

Even later as I was reflecting upon death for a piece of writing I was doing, I suddenly realized I had been reduced before. I also realized that in those same moments I had grown closer to my full stature. Parts of me had passed away, died, so that I could become more fully myself. Death began to look like something else to me, something more mysterious and benign than I had been lead to believe. I began to consider old age as a time of honing, of becoming, and death as a time of actualization.

By and large, when I look around, I see a culture that is pretty death-phobic. It makes sense to me, that if people have no way to see the underlying beauty of death, the way it draws out of us what is most essential and idiosyncratic about our nature’s, then this natural part of Life would be fearful. Therefore, I consider it great news, the realization that death may not be more than reduction par excellence!

I am not naïve enough to believe that even shouting this news from the rooftops will convince anyone. That is part of why I wouldn’t utter these words before this. I, probably wasn’t mature enough, to handle a world that went right on fearing death. Today however, I know that change will only follow personal realization. So, I simply invite you to consider your own life, and view the times you have experienced reduction (through broken plans, relationships, careers, deaths, illnesses), and been re-made as more than you were. I would say that through those experiences you died, you went beyond yourself, and became more yourself.

This realization contributes a lot to the happiness of my life. I have died in that way several times already. And, in some mysterious, unplanned way, I have become so much more essentially me. Life re-made me. I’ve done a lot of therapy, become a therapist, done a lot of spiritual practices, joined spiritual communities, and sought out the latest greatest practices to insure that I was living fully, only to find that Life had my back, and was growing me even better than I was growing myself. Death is an installment of grace that I probably would not choose (at least in cultural terms), but Life in its compassion and wisdom has chosen for me. In the end, death is a favor. 
*          *           *          *           *          *           *          *           *          *           *          *

For more pieces like this, go to www.elderssalon.blogspot.com (2010 thru 2013) and http://www.elderssalon2.blogspot.com  (2014 on)

To hear archived versions of our radio program Growing An Elder Culture go to www.elderculture.com

To read excerpts, or otherwise learn, about Embracing Life: Toward A Psychology of Interdependence go to http://www.davidgoff.net


No comments:

Post a Comment