Tuesday, March 25, 2014

To The Young — Lucky

I’ve been thinking about this for some time. I’ve been hesitant though. The main reason I’ve been delaying is because I’ve had a hard time facing the feelings of grief. The world isn’t in the same condition it was when I got to be part of it. This realization, this steady drumbeat of loss, haunts me. It makes facing anyone hard. I have some shame here, the loss of species, habitat, forests and ecological security that have happened during my time on Earth, and it leaves me speechless. I feel some responsibility, both to the Earth, and to future generations. How can I say anything during such a time of devastation? Yet, I know I must, I feel a responsibility to speak to the young about what is. I just don’t know how I am going to do it.

I can feel the losses. I know that some of the places I wanted to take my daughter to, don’t exist anymore. The life of the planet has changed. We humans have had an affect. I am not in denial about any of that. I can feel the impulse to apologize. I know in someway, that I am culpable. I didn’t die to protect the integrity of the Earth. I let my vigilance wander. I know it. I am in the first generation of humans to live with the fact that we humans have wrecked the nest. From that vantage point I turn towards the young, towards the future, fully acknowledging how my generation lit fire to the house.

The house might burn down. There may not be a future. Life may have other plans for humanity. I don’t know. All I do know, as I face you, the one’s who inherit this mess, this deep uncertainty, is that I feel a complex amalgam of feelings. I admire the pluck, imagination, passion and heart fullness, I sense in you.  I have a bittersweet feeling, which comes with handing the baton off to you. I’m proud of you. At the same time, I have a harder time saying I’m proud of me. I’ve been alive during this whole historical age of environmental carnage, and I know what you are missing.

The world has changed. I, and my generation, have affected it. We have had an impact on the environment. At the same time, perhaps more slowly, the wrecked environment; has had an affect upon us. Speaking entirely for myself, it has taken me a long time to learn. I am the Earth; the things that I have been doing to it (despite protesting and being an environmental activist), I have also been doing to others, and to myself. The whole of the environment is suffering; nature in all of its external niches, and nature in all of its internal places. This is what I have to give you.

The planet groans, as we, humans, decide if we are ready to grow up. The story of our unfolding Universe isn’t going to stop with you or me. It will go on. It looks like, in this moment, the real question is how far along that unfolding trajectory are we, humans, going to go? Evolving is such an uncertain endeavor.

The response to that uncertainty lies in the hands of you and future generations (if there are any).  I would not have you facing any less of a challenge. It may be humanity’s ideal to leave the next generation more secure, comfortable and likely to survive.  But instead, it appears, that you are being left something less secure and more uncertain. I don’t like the damage I, and my generation, have created. On the other hand though, I have to say, you are entering a more overtly uncertain time in our species life. That uncertainty is perhaps more realistic than I, and my age-cohor,t were handed.  Optimism met me., uncertainty meets you. Truthfully, I don’t know which of us is more blessed.

There is another attribute of this moment I want you to know about. I failed miserably during certain eras of my life. I believed that I was deficient, because the challenges were beyond me. My sense of self was in the toilet. All of that misery, I subsequently learned, was necessary, to make me malleable to learning. It took most of this lifetime for me to get that the miracle that my life contains, has never been my doing. I am presently, the happiest I’ve ever been, because this life has taught me, that what is miraculous about it, is not only not in my control, but located somewhere beyond my doing. The world is a miracle — despite the doing of my kind.

Life seems to be in charge. The miracle of it goes on, despite my insensitivity, maybe even because of it. At last, I am humbled enough so that I can say, without any irony, “ I don’t know.” Maybe the life I’m leaving, the one I am passing on to you, isn’t what I think it is. I have this strange feeling that I should apologize, I know I blundered badly (as I still am), but I also know, that what I’m passing on has a life of its own, and might just deliver you to something I couldn’t expect. Some strange unlikelyhood has carried me to places I didn’t know were possible, I think it is just as likely to continue for you that way.

Good Luck!
Forgive me!
Don’t forget!
I love you!
And,
Be Yourself!
*          *           *          *           *          *           *          *           *          *           *          *

For more pieces like this, go to www.elderssalon.blogspot.com (2010 thru 2013) and http://www.elderssalon2.blogspot.com  (2014 on)

To hear archived versions of our radio program Growing An Elder Culture go to www.elderculture.com

To read excerpts, or otherwise learn, about Embracing Life: Toward A Psychology of Interdependence go to http://www.davidgoff.net


No comments:

Post a Comment